How can you pass your home to your adult children?

On Behalf of | Mar 19, 2024 | Estate Planning |

Transferring ownership of a home in California to adult children is a significant decision that involves various legal and financial considerations. Because your home is such a valuable asset, it’s imperative that you do this in a way that makes it easiest for them to receive the home and that offers protection for you while you’re still living.

One of the primary transfer methods involves a living trust, which allows the property to bypass the often lengthy and costly probate process. Another option, a direct deed transfer, such as through a grant deed or quitclaim deed, can be used for a more immediate change in ownership.

Setting up a living trust

A living trust offers a flexible and efficient way to transfer your home to your children. To establish a living trust, you must create a trust document, naming yourself as the trustee to maintain control over the property during your lifetime. Upon your death, the property is transferred to your designated successor trustee, typically one of your children, without needing court intervention.

This method simplifies the transfer process and provides a level of privacy not available through public probate proceedings. However, it’s essential to properly fund the trust by transferring the title of your home into the trust’s name, a process that requires drafting and recording a new deed.

Considering a direct deed transfer

A direct deed transfer can be accomplished using a grant deed or a quitclaim deed. A grant deed assures that the property hasn’t been sold elsewhere and is free from undisclosed encumbrances. A quitclaim deed transfers ownership of the home without any guarantees regarding the property’s status.

It’s crucial to consider the implications of each type of deed, especially regarding potential tax consequences. A direct transfer can trigger a reassessment of the property’s value for property tax purposes. This will possibly change the tax burden on your children.

Making informed choices

Regardless of the chosen method, it’s important to consult with a legal representative to understand fully the implications of transferring your California home to your children. The approach that will best suit your situation will depend on various factors, including your financial situation, your children’s needs and the specific legal requirements involved.

Beverly Hills Bar Association | Lead. Advocate. Serve.
Super Lawyers
The State Bar Of California | July 29 1927
LACBA | Los Angeles County Bar Association
ABA Defending Liberty Pursuing Justice